If you are doing business across state or county/parish lines, you know the issues that come with sales and use taxes are challenging: determining whether you should pay use tax or charge sales tax on items; whether, as a new company, you are properly registered in each applicable jurisdiction; or facing costly findings on your audit because you didn’t prepare properly on the front end. The list goes on.
The LaPorte Sales and Use Tax Services Group understands what you are facing, and we have the experience and knowledge to support you from the time you start a new business through an audit and across state lines. We can advise you when:
- Your company is moving into new markets or taxing jurisdictions
- Your business incorporates Internet-based sales or Cloud computing and/or hosting
- You are dealing with construction challenges such as identifying the proper tax approach on repairs versus new construction or calculating for lump sum versus time and materials
- You are dealing with exemptions and exclusions
- You have to distinguish sales and use on services or tangible products
Sales and Use Tax Services Highlights
- We have a team of highly credentialed professionals including certified public accountants, masters of business administration, and juris doctors/masters of laws.
- We know the importance of setting up your price structure properly on the front end to avoid costly penalties and having to change your structure down the line to account for taxes.
- We have substantial experience supporting clients through audits and understand the value of working with you from the beginning rather than dealing with state and/or local parishes/counties at the end of the audit.
- Our professionals can work with you negotiating on your behalf throughout the audit process.
- We have the ability to handle sales and use tax issues in every state.
- Our team can help develop processes and manuals for each state and each department within the states specific to different taxing scenarios.
- When necessary, we can draw on the extensive resources of RSM US LLP through our membership in RSM US Alliance.
Sales and Use Tax Services Client Base
While we are prepared and qualified to serve clients across industries, we find that our clients needing assistance most frequently fall into the following industries:
- Energy and Oilfield Support Services
Sales and Use Tax Service Areas
Known for their high level of client service, our professionals provide multiple services across the following areas.
- Advice on maintaining compliance across state and county/parish jurisdictions
- Assistance identifying what is taxable
- Representation throughout the audit process
- Assistance mitigating sales and use tax risk
- Assistance with structuring related-party transactions
Millions of individual taxpayers in the Gulf Region suffered through winter storms in February of 2021 which crippled power grids,
(authored by RSM US LLP) Washington National Tax summarizes key tax aspects of President Biden’s American Jobs Plan and the Made in America Tax Plan.
The Louisiana Department of Revenue is granting automatic filing and payment extensions to individuals and businesses impacted by the unprecedented