Now more than ever, nonprofits are forced to do more with less. The accounting needs of a nonprofit don’t stop with the Form 990. From compliance to fundraising to organizational structure, nonprofits must tackle complex and ever-changing financial and regulatory issues, often without the time or resources, these tasks require.
The LaPorte Nonprofit Industry Group has over 35 dedicated professionals who provide comprehensive audit, tax and consulting services to our nonprofit clients. Members of our experienced team have earned nonprofit related certifications and also attend industry conferences. Our team meets monthly to cross-train, identify best practices, review industry trends and work together to reach collective solutions for more than 250 nonprofit clients. Above all, our team truly understands the importance of the work nonprofits do and we take great pride in our own active volunteerism in both Louisiana and Texas.
When you work with LaPorte you’ll have access to services that go beyond compliance. With a focus on best practices and solutions, our practitioners work as proactive business advisors. We can help you address issues ranging from cash-flow struggles to establishing performance metrics that increase operational efficiency. Through regular newsletters, benchmarking reports and seminars, we work to educate our clients on issues from compliance to fundraising and serve as an active member of your team.
Our nonprofit group works with private foundations, public charities, social and country clubs and trade associations, and offers a wide range of services, including:
Organization Formation and Structure
- Helping form nonprofit organizations
- Assisting nonprofits apply for tax-exempt status
- Evaluating executive and board compensation
- Providing training to boards on a variety of topics
Financial Oversight – Consulting Services
- Assessing accounting systems, information systems, and recordkeeping requirements
- Assessing controls and fraud prevention
- Assessing nonprofit financials and evaluating performance
- Doing performance and operational reviews
- Helping develop strategic and business plans
- Reviewing compliance and disclosure requirements
Financial Oversight – Accounting and Audit Services
- Assisting with grants management
- Assisting with new accounting pronouncement implementation
- Auditing federal awards programs (compliance with the Uniform Guidance)
- Auditing financial statements
- Performing compilations and reviews
- Providing financial reporting
Tax Compliance and Consulting Services
- Assisting with tax planning regarding new activities
- Assisting with tax planning regarding unrelated business income
- Preparing applications for tax-exempt status (Form 1023 or 1024)
- Preparing annual nonprofit tax return filings (Form 990)
- Preparing annual unrelated business income tax return filings (Form 990T)
- Providing representation for IRS audits and correspondence
- Assisting with charitable gift planning
- Presenting to the board on its role in fundraising
- Presenting to donors on charitable giving arrangements5
LAPORTE NONPROFIT OVERVIEW
FAQ: Capitalization and amortization of R&D costs under new section 174 rules
See how the new required tax treatment of R&D costs under section 174 affects federal, state, and international taxes, as well as software development.
Tax-advantaged health reimbursement arrangement for employees
Health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) allow employers to pay employees’ medical expenses on a tax-free basis.
Health savings account benefits for employees and employers
Employee interest in health savings accounts (HSAs) has increased so employers should understand the benefits of offering them to employees.