Director of Tax Services
John has recently joined the firm and serves as a Director in LaPorte’s Baton Rouge office. Before joining the firm, he was the Managing Partner and CEO of The Gautreau Group, LLC until the two firms merged on October 1, 2007.
John coaches and consults with entrepreneurs and CEO’s of small companies (150 employees or less) to help them set direction, execute plans for direction, and develop effective leadership strategies and skills.
John’s expertise lies in identifying the root cause of problems identified by the entrepreneur. He assists entrepreneurs in solving the complex problems they face in today’s ever-changing business environment. From his twenty-five years as a CEO working with founding entrepreneurs, he brings his ability to define a corporate vision and implement strategies that entrepreneurs and small businesses can execute simply and effectively to achieve both their personal and professional goals. His greatest strengths lie in unifying diverse viewpoints and educating entrepreneurs to the benefits of making changes necessary to achieve results through mature leadership.
As a consultant, John helps entrepreneurs see possibilities, simplify complex problems, chart paths to solutions and teach leadership skills necessary to accomplish the plan.
- B.S. Business Administration, Louisiana State University
- 18 hours toward a Masters Degree
- The Strategic Coach Program, a program of entrepreneurial coaching for successful entrepreneurs. John is in his 7th year
- Certified Public Accountant
- 1997, John was chosen by the Louisiana Society of CPA’s as the outstanding public servant from over 6,000 CPA’s in Louisiana.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants – He has served on the Federal Taxation, Legislation, Continuing Education and Membership Committees for Louisiana . He also chaired the Louisiana Taxation Committee and was chairperson for the Advanced Tax Workshop.
- Sunrise Rotary Club of Baton Rouge – John is currently an honorary member and a Past President and Treasurer of the 160-member club.
- Junior Achievement of Baton Rouge, Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Tiger Athletic Foundation, Treasurer of the Board of Directors
- Baton Rouge Area Foundation, Board of Directors Treasurer, and Finance Committee Chairman
- Rouge Sports Foundation, Inc., Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Capital Area United Way, Board of Directors Chairman of the Agency Services Division Chair Accountants Division of Annual Campaign
- Community Fund for the Arts, Inc., Chair Accountants Division of Annual Campaign
- Court Appointed Special Advocates, Board of Directors
- Forum 35 Advisor
- Louisiana Arts and Science Center – Board of Directors, Chairman of the Board 1999-2001
- St. Joseph’s Academy, A National School of Excellence – Board of Directors, Chairman of Capital Campaign Fund
- Development Committee Graduate 1992
- Greater Baton Rouge Leadership Program, President
- Greater Baton Rouge Leadership Alumni, Inc., 1994-95
- American Heart Association Louisiana Affiliate, Inc., Board member
- Instructor for over 60 hours of continuing professional education seminars sponsored by the Louisiana Society of Certified Public Accountants and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants on various topics.
- Instructor for over 50 hours of Louisiana Realtors Association Graduate Realtor Institute, teaching taxation to Louisiana Realtors working toward a professional educational designation.
- “Similarities and Differences Between S Corporations and Partnerships after the Sub S Revision Act of 1982”, Tax Executive, 35, No. 4 (July, 1983), pp.336-343. (Co-author)
- “The Predicament of Suspended Passive Activity Losses Upon a Conversion From C to S Status”, Tax Notes, 49, No. 4 (October 15, 1990), pp.321-323. (Co-author)